Kerry Earth Education Project has been in operation since 2000 and is fully committed to the principles of organics.
We have achieved the following:
- Gortbrack Organic Farm has been a Discover Primary Science Centre since 2008 (programme run by Forfás, Discover Science and Engineering). The farm is promoting science through organic gardening and biological diversity.
- Worked with a variety of primary schools and secondary schools throughout Ireland to plan and implement whole school garden and environment designs and cross curricular activities
- All KEEP members are INTO Heritage in Schools Scheme Heritage Specialists
- Awarded a Silver Gilt medal in Bloom in Phoenix Park 2008 for ‘The Living Classroom’ school garden (category – Engaging Spaces)
- Awarded a Gold medal in Bloom 2009 and the Best in Category for Engaging Spaces with the ‘Living Classroom (Recycled)’ interactive show garden
- Produced a DVD with Bord Bia on how to develop primary school gardens, available to all primary schools in Ireland since September 2009
- Published ‘The All Year Round Organic School Garden’ in collaboration with Irish Seed Savers Association with funding from the Heritage Council (September 2009)
- Ongoing work with community groups; particularly the development of Shanakill/ Rahoonane Community Organic Garden, Tralee, one of the longest running community gardens in the country – delivering formal training through FETAC modules and informal training.
- Provided continual horticultural therapy with clients and implemented whole site environmental designs in psychiatric day care centres. This is under the Community Education Programmes with Kerry Education Services (KES).
- Devised and delivered the Introduction to Local Organic Food FETAC Level 4 (Locally Devised Module) with support of Kerry Education Services (KES).
- Heritage tree nursery project; involving primary schools and community groups setting up their own tree nurseries using seed collected from Ballyseedy Woods. This project is supported by the Heritage Council, Local Forestry Service, Kerry County Council Heritage Officer and local community groups and schools.
- Natural landscaping and designing gardens food and wildlife – consultation, design and implementation services provided.